My Weight Loss Journey Even Though It’s Been Tough Since Turning 40
Since I hit 40, it has been pretty rough trying to lose weight. In the past, I would eat fewer calories, exercise more, and I would lose weight in no time. I now only lose half a pound. If I eat one bad meal, I gain three pounds. I am not exaggerating about that.
I had my physical yesterday, and my doctor said that I have lost nine pounds since last year. I was happy to hear that, but not by much because I should have lost more than that. When I scroll through Pinterest and Instagram to read stories of people who have lost weight, it’s usually losing 30 pounds in six months or so. I don’t want to do a diet because it’s not sustainable for me. I am trying the following:
- Limiting my calorie intake to 1200 calories – I don’t think I am calculating how many calories I am actually consuming correctly
- Use a food scale – I have a food scale that I bought when I tried WeightWatchers awhile ago, so going to start using it again.
- Intermittent Fasting – Intermittent Fasting is something that I have been doing for a while, but it hasn’t been working. I think it’s what I said above, I would eat too many calories during the window. I saw on Pinterest a few sample meals, and it’s barely salads, so definitely need to reduce my calorie intake.
- Using MyFitnessPal to keep track – A few months ago, I downloaded my weight history. Alongside my pictures, I figured out the weight that worked for me. It felt good that I don’t have to lose as much weight as I thought I needed to.
- Drinking More Water – I will admit that I suck at drinking water. This is another topic that I spoke about with my doctor. The older I get, the less I can maintain my water. If I drink a cup of water, I will make four trips to the bathroom. She says it’s healthy so I will have to deal.
- Exercising for 150 minutes a week – The doctor said that the recommendation is 150 minutes per week. I am exercising 45 minutes/3 times a week, but that isn’t enough. I will add 5-10 minutes to my workout.
I have vowed not to buy any new clothes until I lose weight. It’s hard because it is taking forever but I am still determined to keep going. If anyone has good weight loss tips, please comment and help a sister out.